Saturday, 9 November 2013

REVIEW: Apple iPad mini WiFi + Cellular 16GB (Black)

Given the millions of iPad tablet computers sold worldwide, I was obviously far from the only one who felt great affection for the original iPad model which launched in 2010. Indeed, for me, that model - or, to be more precise, the very top-end 64GB WiFi/3G model - fell into my hands as a Christmas present from my Dad in 2010, and it's fair to say that, as a freelance writer, it helped to thoroughly revolutionise my manner of working. Gone were the days of having to write on a terribly RAM-deficient PC, in exchange for a much speedier working and leisure experience that I could take with me almost anywhere.

But, alas, as is naturally the case with Apple's iOS products, operating system updates eventually ceased - in this case, in May 2012 - and I was left with the choice of either long continuing to work on a tablet computer which still ran very well (despite occasional slowness and crashes) but could become increasingly less secure over time, or, indeed, investing in a new device that could continue to receive updates. After considering but ultimately rejecting the prospect of splashing out on a netbook (scare stories about poor reliability and awkward warranties had put me off), I waited for the highly rumoured announcement of the also highly rumoured upcoming smaller iPad and then splashed out on one, plus a case and screen protectors. My impressions so far have been good...

A highly personal choice

Though I had many reasons for liking my first iPad, among them the high speed and reliability of the hardware and software, as I had received it as a present, I hadn't been given much choice over exactly what iPad model to have. This time round, the choice was entirely mine, which enabled me to buy an iPad which better suited my unique needs and preferences. As I used my last iPad mainly for writing, occasionally on the move, I wanted cellular connectivity (public UK wifi networks often either include charges or are unreliable) but didn't need any huge storage, and so opted for a 16GB/cellular model. Furthermore, I loved the appearance of the black iPad, especially with its anonised black back, and knew that it would look especially cool when paired with the red Jammy Lizard case that I bought for it. And, indeed, it did - but more on the case later...

Lots of great features, both old and new

Though it had been two years since I had last set up an iPad, setting up this one wasn't too difficult. Even transferring all of my old apps and other content from my old iPad to the new one proved relatively straightforward and, thanks to iCloud, didn't even require use of a desktop or laptop computer with iTunes installed. Transferring my existing Orange 3G pay-as-you-consume account from the micro SIM installed in my iPad to the nano SIM necessary for cellular connectivity on my iPad mini took slightly more time, and involved me twice phoning Orange; however, this, too, went without too many hiccups.




















Given that I was transferring from what was then almost three-year-old technology in my first iPad, it shouldn't prove that surprising that my iPad mini turned out to provide quite a significant leap forward in terms of its features. Perhaps the most crucial of these features was its two cameras; while I have so far had little reason to use the front camera too often, the five-megapixel back camera has helped me to produce a wealth of attractive photographs, including the two below.


Other differences between the two iPads were more subtle; for example, the previous Google Maps application on iOS 5.1.1 has been replaced by Apple Maps for versions of iOS starting from iOS 6. However, as Google Maps can still be used on the Google website through a web browser, there is very little really lost. The YouTube app bundled with the original iPad is also no more on the iPad mini, though a different YouTube app - which I have barely researched and never yet tested - remains freely available through the App Store. All of the other apps which I have used regularly on my original iPad, including web browser Safari and word processor Pages, remain pretty much just as usable on my iPad mini.

Smaller but still high in functionality

One reason why I opted to replace my first generation iPad with an iPad mini, rather than a model of the fourth generation iPad which Apple unveiled at the same time as the iPad mini, is that it appeared to offer almost all of the same functionality as its larger alternative at a noticeably lower price. Indeed, having used my iPad mini regularly for several months now, I'd judge it to have about 95% of the functionality of a full size iPad, as I barely notice the smaller size when using it.

I might even go as far as to say that the iPad mini's smaller size makes it, in several crucial ways, preferable to a full size iPad. Whereas my old iPad sometimes felt bulky and unwieldy when I got it out to use occasionally while out and about, my iPad mini feels just the appropriate size for using in the same way. Not only does it just seem to fit more comfortably in my hands, its smaller size and weight ensures that I feel it less when carrying it in my bag. All of this is enough to give me the view that Steve Jobs was mistaken in his opinion that tablet computers with screen sizes smaller than those of full size iPads are too small to compete with those tablet computers.


And some accessories, too...

Though I loved the appearance of the black iPad mini upon first seeing it, I also heard that, like its iPhone 5 equivalent, it was prone to scratching. Hence, I knew that I would want to buy a case for it that would not only look good, but also protect as much of the iPad mini body as possible to help to preserve its appearance for when I eventually sell or trade in the iPad. I judged by its listing on Amazon.co.uk that the 360 iPad mini case from British company Jammy Lizard ticked most of the crucial boxes: apparently, it would come in a nice red colour (red being my trademark colour), protect much of the iPad and likely protect the iPad well if I ever accidentally dropped it.

If you sensed that there was a 'but' coming, you sensed correctly. When the case arrived in the post, it had some subtle differences from the case in the image in the Amazon.co.uk listing; whereas that case appeared to be a slightly different shade of red, have a black strap and have a grey interior, the case I received was a brighter Ferrari red, had a sandy-coloured strap and had a tan-coloured interior. Though these colour differences slightly distracted from the red-and-black colour scheme I had been aiming for with the iPad and case, the differences remained too subtle for me to be too bothered by them.

I am similarly not too bothered by the tendency of the case to often collapse when it is placed in the less steep standing position and I am typing on the iPad screen. Though this tendency is a slight inconvenience, it is still hardly that troublesome to continue typing on the screen while the stand is collapsed. Indeed, overall, I am impressed with the case due to the way that it feels in the hands, the protection that it gives my iPad and its very low price given its features and build. This is despite the fact that, almost a year since I bought it, some of the red on the case has visibly stained the strap and there have appeared other signs of wear and tear, like several dents and cuts in the case's red exterior, which has begun peeling away. Well, my attitude to all of this is that it is better that the case suffers this kind of damage than the iPad; at least the former can be replaced much more inexpensively!


Though the Jammy Lizard case did come with a free screen protector, I struggled to attach it without creating any bubbles and, in the end, simply threw the protector in the bin out of frustration. As the protector was free and some of my struggles were due to my own hastiness in trying to attach it, I won't attack Jammy Lizard too much for my problems here. Having had excellent experiences with a MediaDevil crystal clear screen protector on my old iPad, I decided to buy iPad mini versions. I attached one of these protectors onto the screen without causing bubbles much more quickly and easily than I had with the Jammy Lizard protector, and this MediaDevil protector has the same benefits of the one on my old iPad, including low visibility and a great feel to the touch. Though MediaDevil screen protectors are pricey compared to the competition, they are definitely worth the extra expense.


Summing it all up

In conclusion, then? My iPad mini has, basically, proven a fantastic upgrade from my first generation iPad. Whereas that iPad was showing its age in being prone to frequent crashes when running the latest iOS version that it could run, my iPad mini has ran wonderfully smoothly and has very rarely crashed using iOS 6, though this has been slightly less the case using iOS 7. The back camera has also proven very valuable, having helped me to take a number of wonderful quality photos quickly and easily when out and about; uploading such photos to iPad apps including Facebook, Twitter and Pages has been pretty straightforward, too. The accessories have also, at relatively low prices, helped to make an already great product even better. I can see myself continuing to use this iPad mini regularly and reliably for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment